Monday, August 22, 2005

Driving in August...
Anyone who might actually have been reading this over a long period of time will know that my luck with vehicles is horrible during the month of August. Each summer i have a vehicle break down in the worst possible way on the freeway. Each time its a little further from home. So this summer I swore off driving on the freeways. Just to give you some back ground... I bought a Ranger on April 1st this year. Two days after I bought it I had to rock it back and forth to get it to start. A month later the alternator went out. The alternator we replaced it with was bad as well. So 3 alternators and two batteries later I'm plugging this piece of crap into a battery charger everynight because no one can figure out what's wrong with. This will sound lame, but I'm scared to death of taking it to a mechanic. I know a pretty good amount, but not enough to keep me from getting screwed... and I'm a woman. So anyway back to the story.
Last night I was out with a friend driving down a state highway (not one of our major freeways, I thought i was safe). Yes we had an unopened six pack and had planned on sitting out in the moonlight in the desert and drinking it. I realized I was I was seeing the voltage meter dropping and he noticed how dim the headlights had gotten. So I turned around. We made it to opposite side of the junction where the gas station is before it died. We were going to have to push this thing across the goddamn death highway. I was so scared, I told my friend not to push until he couldn't see anything in either directions. People drive 95 million miles an hour down that road because there's nothing out there, no lights, no stores, no cops...nada. Just Pahrump 60 miles away. I was shaking. We made it most the way across before we saw headlights. Boy was he pushing then. We waited two hours for roadside and the "battery boost" didn't do anything. I had to have it towed home. I daisy chained some cables out to the curb and charged the battery again. Now my brakes don't work. It starts, it holds the charge, but I have no brakes. The power is gone from them, it's like when you have the vehicle off and yer pushing a brick. No fucking power. What the hell is that??? August 20th from now on I am staying the fuck home. Last year my truck had already broke by that time so I was enjoying our public transportation system. The prior year 8-20-03 was when the clutch and the tranny went out on the freeway. There's a post in here about that already lol.
Anyway, I'm back and I'll be posting more again.

No comments: