Sunday, December 02, 2007

It's got claws!?!

My friend's and I were talking about how maybe we got through November unscathed this year. Then I told her about putting the previous entry on here and her jaw dropped. Yup, I did it. Well November landed on my ass, literally. The day after I posted that. We made our traditional Thanksgiving trek to Utah, these friend's really are my family. Side note: Sometimes the meds I take give me a fever and sore throat for a day or so after so that was no indicator. Anyway, Thanksgiving night we were all drinking - a lot. Add a bit of snow to the rum and someone will fall on her ass, in the driveway, and not remember what she fell on. The next day I noticed a couple of scratches and what looked like two little holes on my rear. No pain, or a second thought about them. Still had the fever. Saturday night I leaned against the kitchen counter and it hurt, a lot. Still had the fever. Those two holes were now red, swollen, pea sized. The transformation from Saturday night to Sunday morning was remarkable. Now they were saucer sized, hot and bright red. After investigating the driveway I am still at a loss as to what could have caused those. On the drive home they opened up (ruined that pair of jeans) and I knew I was screwed. Already I knew what cellulitis (staph infection) was and I used Google to confirm my suspicions. Monday I was at the urgent care when they opened, by Tuesday I was in surgery to remove some of the tissue and assist in the drainage process. Gross. Morphine is very cool and I learned you can get a hangover from it. Also learned pain can be bad enough to make you black out and vomit. So here it is Sunday and I can now sit long enough to type up my tale of woe. No pun intended. It could have been worse, I know you can die from a staph infection. Thank God I recognized what it was, Thank God November is over for another year.

No comments: