Friday, April 11, 2008

They're Just Boys...

Somethings needs to be said. It's 2am and I've been awake for over twenty-four hours, not even able to count right now because I know it's been longer than that. So, if I write this the tears will stop so I can sleep. Two weeks ago I found out my best friend's nephew, who I've known since he was two-ish, is going to Iraq June 2nd. My first thought? Kidnap him, hide him. Shoot him in the foot. He can't go. Not him. Am I proud of him? Of course. He's still the cute little boy with blond curls to me. Not a soldier. Fast forward to tonight... an email that my brother's only boy is leaving for basic training June 3rd. His unit has already been put on alert to be deployed in November. This boy was offered not only a full ride football scholarship (University of Nebraska had him listed on there website for awhile), but an academic one as well. He was supposed to be safe in college, not joining the Army. Both good kids. Rewind to last summer... The night before his two week leave was over. Sitting on the balcony telling us he missed his unit, he needed to be back there. Staring off in the darkness, half gone twelve pack in his lap, telling us, if they didn't extend his tour again, how long it would be until he was home. February. He's still there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Webcam, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://webcam-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.