Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Tower of Books

I'm sitting on the floor in front of a heavily stocked book case. Several weeks ago I managed to read a few short stories. Now I want to try going thru something I've read before and enjoyed. Testing the water. Looking across the shelves and the few small stacks on the floor and I'm scared. Stupid I known but I haven't finished a book in...two years? Three? Some are sitting that I've never opened, little adventures my mind won't let me take. I'm hoping how some things in the past have healed themselves that maybe this has too. "The Stand" keeps catching my eye, but that's 1500 pages. The first time I devoured that in a week. Now it seems overwhelming. Of all the things I've lost from this disease this is the one that hurts the most. I have a book in my lap now (not the stand)...wish me luck.

*Update* I finished "Blaze" by Stephen King on 11/6. Book was great, ending sucked. I've started a new one!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck! I think I missed what disease you have. Could be my memory or maybe I didn't decipher the clues.

ac

Natalie said...

Multiple Sclerosis. So far, other than clumsiness and twitching, cognitive functions are the only things it's effected.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it doesn't progress very quickly.

Perhaps there is a positive to be taken from this -- MS being a constant reminder of how uncertain quality of life can be -- which could encourage you to live your life to its fullest.

I've often thought that some of my depressive episodes have made me more "alive" than supposedly the happier moments. While it is a bit of over an simplification, for me giving myself permission to tell someone what I really think or to just have the extra dessert seems so much easier when you're not sure if you're going to jump off a bridge in the morning. Metaphorically speaking.

The reality is, even for the most healthy (mentally and physically), so much can change tomorrow. While a bit passe -- Carpe Diem is so true. I only wish I could remember it more frequently and under better circumstances.

ac

Anonymous said...

I think you'll want to place a twitter icon to your website. Just marked down this blog, although I had to complete this by hand. Just my 2 cents.

Natalie said...

Thank you. I will keep that in mind.

Victoria said...


My dad was diagnosed with early onset Parkinson's disease at 57.his symptoms were shuffling of feet,slurred speech, low volume speech, degradation of hand writing, horrible driving skills, right arm held at 45 degree angle, but now he finally free from the disease with the help of total cure from ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC, he now walks properly and all symptoms has reversed, he had trouble with balance especially at night, getting into the shower and exiting it is difficult,getting into bed is also another thing he finds impossible.we had to find a better solution for his condition which has really helped him a lot,the biggest helped we had was ultimate life clinic they walked us through the proper steps,am highly recommended this www.ultimatelifeclinic.com to anyone who needs help.