Thursday, January 24, 2008

Random act of kindness

So I've been going through the hiring process for a government job. Had the courage to apply, went through the testing phase, working on the SF86 background check form. I researched and researched this job and it seems to fit in every way. Today they called for the next phase, some kind of interview. The guy went through this ten minute spiel on the requirements and expectations of employment, most of it quoting verbatim from the website I already read. No surprise. Until he got to the part about visible tattoos...wtf? All the crap I read NEVER mentioned that, and I was looking for it. So I agreed to the interview anyway, not mentioning the red, white and blue butterfly on my hand. Then frantically began googling ways I might be able to cover it up. Found something called dermablend sold at Dillard's. Not someplace that I can afford to frequent but I went there anyway. My first trip to a make-up counter. So I explained my plight to the make-up magician. This woman worked and worked on me with a product she was not familiar with. Not her counter. Wrong color, wrong coverage, wrong this and that. She was hellbent on getting it to work though and brought in help. With the expertise of the new woman we finally got it covered up and it looked great. Dottie, the new woman, turned to the first and said "I know we just got all this new stuff in, just give her the color tester to take home, she shouldn't have to buy this stuff for an interview." She palmed the little jar and acted like she was shaking my hand, the jar disappeared in my pocket. The first woman brought me over to her counter to put powder on their creation and set it. She went over how important the right powder was, then got this puzzled look and said something about the jar being too big. Ducking behind the counter, she dumped a bunch of the powder from the tester in some kleenex. Folding it into a makeshift envelope, she taped it closed and handed it to me. All I could manage was 'thank you' when she wished me luck. I could feel the tears coming. How did they know? I never said a word. Unless they could see it on my face, this random act of kindness meant more to me that they could ever know.

No comments: