Thursday, September 20, 2007

Sittin On Go

Maybe I'm a little crazy, but I don't think so. Not this time. How many years do I spend hating where I live? If after 24 years I don't have even a little affection for this town I don't think it's gonna happen. A friend asked me if there was anything about Vegas that I liked. Mulling that one over for awhile I had three answers - concerts, some 24 hour benefits and when I can see it disappearing in my review mirror. Sometimes I feel like it's weighing me down because I'm not happy here. The cost of living keeps going up and the wages stay the same. Two words - Nevada Power. We need lube when that bill arrives every month ($386 for this month). They just had a rate hike. Again. Anyway, I been thinking today. If, for whatever reason (because I blew it), I don't get a call about this job I'm outta here anyway. Utah would be great, but that's not going to happen unless I plan on living in poverty. Their cost of living is seriously off kilter from the wages. Not interested in California or Arizona. Colorado is nice and it looks like the price is right. I have years of experience in my line of work and it looks like there are a lot of employment opportunities there, even more than here. If it doesn't work out, I'll try somewhere else. I have a plan. All I'm doing here is spinning my wheels in the sand, getting nowhere. Stagnating. I wasn't born here and I hope to god I don't die here, but it's killing me to stay. Financially and emotionally killing me. Crazy? Not so much. Crazy is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

"When the way comes to an end - Change. Having changed you pass through." - I-Ching

"When I started pushing 30 it started pushing back." - Gary Allan

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Colorado has been "growing" for the last 10 years and the cost of living continues to rise there. Fortunately, it is my understanding that the wages have crept up as well. Like most places, I would expect that to slow. The wage creep that is.

FWIW, the Boulder area is awesome.

Lastly, you might ask yourself what keeps in you in LV.

Natalie said...

The cost of everything here has steadily climbed but the wages have not. What gets me is the cost of utilities in Colorado, dirt cheap compared to here. Power here = $386, power and gas there = $60-$70. I remember living in a 900 sqf apartment 9 years ago and was still paying almost $200 for power. I won't even go into rent and such.

What has kept me here is trying to provide for me and my son. If it had just been me to worry about I'm sure chances would have been taken. Other places I've looked at moving to didn't add up or make sense financially. Colorado does. If the need should arise, they have a good public transportation system in case my truck breaks. Rent is cheaper, groceries are cheaper, health care is cheaper. It may be expensive in comparison to other places, but it is definetly cheaper than here.

I'll have to check out Boulder, I saw some jobs listed there as well. Later on today I'll post on here the things I liked and the things I didn't like.