Sunday, September 30, 2007

Things Change

Enough time has gone by I doubt you read this anymore (or if you ever did). You know how writing makes me feel better, like removing a splinter. This one has festered long enough. Just for the record, and I know I told you anyway, I didn't mean to break your heart or mine in the process. Sometimes things change, at least we could agree on that. Losing someone else was never my intention and I never meant to push you away. There's so many things about you I miss, and some I don't. Muddling along was ok for me, for awhile, even after I knew it wasn't working out. It was like the elephant in the living room no one wants to talk about. Walking around it, setting your coffee on it and looking under it to watch TV doesn't mean it's not there anymore. We could talk about everything except us. Maybe if we had of things would have been different. Life lesson number 7,342... at the expense of something else that could have been good. Maybe not forever good, but for awhile good. We'll never know.

'There ought to be a town somewhere
Named for how I feel
Yeah I could be the mayor down there
And say ‘welcome to sorryville
It wouldn’t be on a map no where
You might say that it don’t exist
But if you make enough wrong turns
It’d be hard to miss
There ought to be a bridge somewhere they could dedicate to me
I'd probably come to the ceremony with a can of gasoline
Walk on over to the other side
Where I'd light a match
Sit and stare through the smoke and flames and wonder how I'm gonna get back
Why do I do the things I do?
Was I born this way or am I self made fool?
I shoot the lights and I curse the dark
I need your love but I break your heart
And I know the words that’ll bring you back
But I don’t say nothing as I watch you pack
I had to work to become the jerk I've come to be
It ain’t easy being me.'

-Chris Knight

No comments: