Thursday, October 04, 2007

Country Radio Part 2



Somehow on a previous post about country radio I think it may have ended up in a rant that included some artists. This is not a retraction but rather a further explanation. Some artists are radio icons, radio ready or whatever you want to call it. Having earned the place in heavy rotation through whatever means, which sometimes we forget, also includes talent. During other discussions I've had recently I realized the whole point was forgotten. It was not to criticize the artists who are fortunate enough to have their music on the radio, it was to complain about the radio beating those songs to death. To keep myself from burning out on some of my favorites (Tim McGraw, Rascal Flatts and Kenny Chesney) I stopped listening to country radio altogether. This was also to keep from hating the fresh fish that have started out in heavy rotation. Going back to XM radio I've fixed that problem. They play enough variety plus artists you will never find on any Clear Channel station (ie. Steve Earle, Chris Knight, Randy Rogers). Anyway, the argument was never aimed at the artists but radio for the lack of variety. No, I'm not one of those people who are now shutoff to radio all together, I just like to have choices. For someone who can listen to everything from Linkin Park and Blue October to Waylon and Willie, XM is the bomb!

No comments: