Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Cross Road

For the first time, in more than 20 years of friendship, I don't know what to say. This is critical and I can't find the words to reach her. Struggled thru this for the last few days, I can't sleep again. In so many ways I felt the person I spent two hours on the phone with on Sunday was a stranger. There has to be someone else whispering in her ear and she's listening to him, instead of her husband or me. Part of me wants to select a large caliber weapon from the arsenal downstairs and take a road trip, put the fear of god in him. There is no respect I can find for a man, who not only has a girl at home, but is fine with chasing after someone's wife. Right, right it takes two to tango, but I don't think she would have ever heard the music if he hadn't asked her to dance. Now she's giving every excuse in the world to end her marriage and trying to make her husband believe it's all his doing, or they should see other people. For once, something tells me she's not telling me the whole truth. She knows I don't agree, and won't encourage her. Unless I thought it would make her happy, that he was a good stand up guy. If for even a second I thought this was for the best, no matter how I felt about it, I would give her my blessing. My gut says he's wrong. Knowing how stubborn she can be, she may never admit she made a mistake until it's too late. Thinking thru this now I came to a realization. This may be one mistake she'll have to make in order to appreciate what she had. Unfortunately, it's one you can't come back from.

Then what, what you gonna do
When the new wears off and the old shines through
And it aint really love and it aint really lust
You aint anybody anyone's gonna trust
Then what, where you gonna turn
When you cant turn back for the bridges you burn
Then What

- Clay Walker

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

having gone [partly] down that road, i think your friend does need to realize that just one step down that path (and it sounds like she has taken that already) has already altered her relationship more than she may ever realize. the further she goes, the harder it is to get back to anywhere even close to where it was before taking that first step and near impossible to ever get back to where she probably yearns for it to be.

that said, if she really thinks it will make her happy, she needs to get out of her current relationship (marriage) and then pursue the one she thinks will work better for her. given the conditions it likely started in, the odds are stacked against her. maybe she'll be that one in a billion. then again, maybe i'll find a million dollar winning lottery ticket on the ground tonight. something tells me my chances are better. :-/