Tuesday, July 15, 2008

I'm a quitter...

About a week and a half ago I found an old prescription for Wellbutrin, an anti-depressant that is also used as a stop smoking aid. Years ago I quit once using it and it worked well. Cool I’m going to try it again since the gum didn’t work. About the time I increased the dosage I noticed that I wasn’t sleeping well, couldn’t fall asleep or couldn’t stay asleep. Eh, whatever I’ve had insomnia before. Suddenly I realized my moods had changed from not wanting to get out of bed to waking before my alarm clock and feeling ok. Yet I had fleeting moments of depression and was quick to get angry or over react, no ability to focus – I’m like a ferret on crack. Maybe it’s the pills? Depression, fine I’ll admit it. It started again a couple months ago. Umm yeah they told me I was bipolar a few years ago but I’ve been medication free for two years without a problem. MS can cause bipolar, and fix it, and cause it again and…I’m manic. You don’t give antidepressants alone to a person with bipolar disorder, must be accompanied by a mood stabilizer (and I knew that but I'm not bipolar so it shouldn't matter). Otherwise you get exactly what I am right now. In every other aspect the pills are working great. Not smoked today, maybe smoked four or 5 times over the weekend and it doesn't even bother me. Yay for me, I'm a quitter! Then I'll quit taking the pills and we shall return to our regularly scheduled programming... It's worth it to be crazy for a week or so.

No comments: