Sunday, September 14, 2008

Thank you for calling ____

So I'm a week into my fabulous new assignment. After my first day I was thinking what the hell did I get myself into. Oh sure I remember most of it (highest average score in the refresher class, 98%), but damn there's stuff I forgot and new things I didn't know about. Thank god my friend was here the first day, I couldn't remember how to put a customer on hold. All in all I'm remembering one of the things I loved about this client, the customers are cool. Easy to talk to, the product is solid, simple to troubleshoot, easy to sell and I'm no salesman. At the same time it's enough if a challenge to not be boring. Yesterday I was talking with one of the people who escaped the other client with me. This is EASY, we make a bit more money, the stress is minimal and it feels like a HUGE weight has been lifted off of us. Guess I never realized how the stress and hatred from my other job was impacting me outside of work. At the end of my shift my neck, shoulders, head and stomach don't hurt anymore. My stomach doesn't go into knots at the mere thought of having to return. I'm not carrying around stress, didn't even know it was there until it was gone. In comparison this feels like a vacation. When you help someone you know within a few minutes if it's been fixed. There is a lot of satisfaction in this job for me. Finally, once again, I feel productive and that I'm doing a good job (well maybe not that first day). Umm, it also appeals to my inner geek.

No comments: